This is the easiest bestest most deliciousest chocolate cake on planet earth. I've mentioned it a few times before. It's from the best food blog on earth, Smitten Kitchen. If you have time to make the whole recipe of the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake your guests are very lucky. I have made it for several birthdays or important celebrations and every time someone in the crowd says it's the best cake they have ever had.
Well, when you don't have time to do the whole thing, like I didn't this weekend for my friend Elisa's birthday dinner, I used the cake part of the recipe (super fast in one bowl with just a whisk! No mixer needed even!), whipped up some cream with orange rind and orange liqueur, and did a little decorating to make it look a little more impressive.
So, here's how to make a super easy birthday cake:
- Soak Orange Slices (or berries!) in Orange Liqueur while you make the cake.
- Make the Smitten Kitchen Chocolate Cake (click on the above link)
- Whip up two (2) pint containers of heavy whipping cream with orange rind of two or three oranges (to taste), a splash of orange liqueur and some powdered sugar (to taste).
- Once the cake is completely cooled (seriously, completely -- don't learn the hard way, like I did! LOL!) slather whipped cream on first layer.
- Add orange slices (or berries!) and a sprinkle of toasted pecan pieces.
- Proceed to the next layer. This is a three layer cake so you have one more layer to do before you get to the top!
- Slather the entire cake with the whipped cream -- which is so much easier to spread than frosting, so it's super fast!
- Decorate as you see fit!