Last night I found out my new neighbors were going to come over in the late morning so I decided to make some scones. I decided I wanted mango scones even though I'd never had such a thing. I found this fabulous recipe on this mighty adorable blog -- Lovely Little Lunch Box's Mango Coconut Scones -- had all the ingredients, and like most scone recipes saw it was super easy so I made them.
For the first batch I followed the recipe and ended up over-mixing them accidentally. The second batch came out perfectly, but you may want to heed at least the first of my notes/changes to the recipe:
- Do NOT mix in the diced mangoes with those last ingredients as it states. Make the dough and fold in the diced mangoes at the end.
- You do not need to sweat over fresh mango which I find infuriating to cut. I used frozen mango and let it thaw in the fridge over night. For the second batch I just thawed more in the microwave, and it tastes just as good as fresh.
- 75 grams of butter = 5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon. Now you don't have to look it up!
- Kick it up a notch. I thought "Hmmmmm....coconut, mango?..... How about adding some Trader Joe's Thai Lime and Chili Almonds?" Unreal! You don' t need many, and I only put them in some of my batch to check it out, but they are a yummy addition and I will do i again...and again...and again!
- I didn't have pecans but next batch I will be adding because pecans + mangoes + coconut are a mighty lovely threesome.
I had enough left over to put in bags to deliver to other neighbors. These can't be left in my house. I would have eaten all of them if left to my own devices.