And, you can get as creative as you wish with this: bottom line is the base is cranberry juice cocktail and red wine. You throw these two ingredients in a pot with a couple spices and some fruit. Start on a low simmer about an hour before people come and the house will be imbued with divine Santa Memory Making scents! Speaking of which, leave a cup for Santa with the cookies and milk and he'll probably leave extra goodies for all!
- Cranberry Juice Cocktail -- 1 quart
- Burgandy Wine (or really any inexpensive fairly robust red wine -- you do NOT need to spend a lot of time or effort finding the wine component) -- 1 gallon
- Spices: 3 sticks of cinnamon, 6 whole cloves (optional whole allspice)
- Fruit: Sliced apple, orange, a handful of cranberries for beauty factor maybe
- Sugar: Optional -- add to taste...this will depend on the brand of cranberry juice cocktail and the wine....you won't need any more than a cup, but definitely manage the sugar need after simmering for about 10 minutes
And, just like Sangria you can get creative with your Mulled Wine. Bottom line is that when your guests walk in the door they will say "What is that wonderful aroma?" and better yet, they will love sipping this heart and chest warming elixir.
Happy Holiday Entertaining!