Thursday, December 22, 2011

Yummy Christmassy Dinner Party

The table was beautiful, as were all the dishes before we dug into them, but oh my god I forgot to take pics so, here are the "morning after" (aka leftover) pics of the Tomato Goat Cheese Tart and the Salted Caramel Pie (with peanut and chocolate additions):





This Tomato Goat Cheese Tart is amazing.  The crust is fantastic, and I think I'll use it for other things.  Crunchy, flaky, perfectly cheesy and seasoned.  Next time, instead of Italian herbs, I'll use just rosemary to see.  Couldn't more highly recommend this recipe.  I couldn't find my mini-tartlet pans for the life of me so I made a large one.  It turned out great, but next time I will do the minis, because I think it will work better with the goat cheese filling.  Either way is great: http://www.takeamegabite.com/?p=3646


To start the meal I made this Mario Batali Pappa al Pomodoro -- Tomato & Bread Italian Soup.  It's more thick than most soups, so I gave everyone smaller portions so as not to fill them up too much: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/tomato-bread-soup-pappa-al-pomodoro-recipe/index.htmlI actually made the tomato base -- pre water and bread additions -- the night before so as to fully steep with flavors.

Then for dessert, this great Food & Wine recipe for Salted Caramel Pie.  I added peanuts (Salted Blistered from Trader Joe's) to crust and stirred in a big handful of semisweet chocolate chips into the caramel at the end also.  Then I added chopped nuts and chocolate to decorate.  I served with Salted Caramel and Chocolate Ice Cream.  Also, I hardly put any sugar in the topping because the pie is so sweet.  It offset the sweetness well.  Finally, I whipped 3 cups of cream instead of 2, as recipe states: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/salted-caramel-pie

So, the full menu:

  • Cocktail -- Prosecco, Orange Liqueur, Juice of one Tangerine, and Pomegranate Juice Cocktail (slices of tangerine in glass) -- all to taste
  • Italian Tomato Bread Soup
  • Tomato Basil Goat Cheese Tart
  • Salad with Parmiggiano and Toasted Almonds (balsamic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and juice of one tangerine)
  • Green Beans sauteed with garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, yellow tomatoes, lemon juice
  • Warm Sourdough Bread
  • Salted Caramel Pie + Ice Creams
Buon Yummy Natale!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment