I used to love Chinese Chicken Salads when I ate chicken (many years ago). Sometimes I order them in restaurants without the chicken, but generally they are unsatisfying because there isn't a protein source. I've made them at home with grilled tofu, but again, not the same thing.
But, I just accidentally made a very UN-Chinese veggie version of the salad that I am in love with. It is so springy too!
- Lettuce -- for this one I used one big chunk of Romaine, but Butter Lettuce would be great too (just something that won't fight with the snap peas, i.e., arugula is too much flavor
- Big Handful of Sugar Snap Peas
- Gorgonzola Cheese
- 1/2 avocado
- Handful of Toasted Almonds
- Handful of Trader Joe's Mini Rice Crackers - Crushed
- Splash o' Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Small Lemon
Chop up the lettuce and snap peas. Throw into a bowl with the other ingredients. If you don't have avocado, then just drizzle a little olive oil. But if you use avocado and cheese, you definitely do not need olive oil, and omitting it actually makes the snap peas sing!
NOTE in honor of Kathleen Kelly -- as she calls herself "My Vegetably Challenged Friend" -- If you hate veggies and the idea of eating anything with the word "pea" in it makes you cringe, DO NOT FEAR THE SUGAR SNAP! First, you are eating these raw, so they taste nothing like cooked peas. Second, sugar snap peas taste nothing like peas. They are incredibly sweet, deliciously crunchy and refreshingly light. GIve them a try before you take license with this recipe and substitute in chocolate chips or chicken!