Thursday, October 01, 2009

Lazy Aging

I'm dealing with my dad being in the final stage of his life, so aging is on my brain. I take pretty good care of myself but I just had a moment in the mirror tonight waging a brief battle with my aging. A few months ago a dermatologist gave me a cream he wanted me to use to bleach a brown sun spot above my eyebrow. I don't usually go for fancy creams but the doctor said "It's a miracle -- takes away brown spots, wrinkles, everything!" That was a few months ago, and tonight I felt compelled to finally take it out and apply it to that nasty sun spot, and maybe make a little effort to fight the evidence of my aging.

I keep my skin in great shape with my grandma's skin secret (which I wrote about a few months back) but when I looked in the mirror recently I realized the sun damage is aging me. Sometimes the Lazy thing for me to do is acknowledge that something is bugging me, and has possibly been bugging me for some time, and to just bust a move -- or bust open the sun-spot-eliminator-miracle-cream.

The "Lazy Way" is less effort, less stress, and more joy. Sometimes just a little effort makes a difference. Sometimes a little effort = a little more joy.

My dad didn't take good care of himself on a lot of levels. Few of us take care of ourselves perfectly. We slip and slide around. We pay perfect attention and then don't pay any attention. We eat the wrong things, don't drink enough of the right things. We drive with the top down without sun block.

Well I'll be having a little Lazy Fun with my sun spots starting today. I'll apply a little cream each day and see how it goes. And, I have a renewed commitment to sunblock, and have it placed in the car doors for easy access. Little efforts = little bits of joy in my new relationship with aging.

No comments:

Post a Comment