Monday, October 08, 2012

Lazy Deliciousness: The Best Laid Plans

A little group I started that I call "CNC" -- acronym or reason we meet is not important, but suffice it to say I owe them a pie.   Last time we were supposed to meet I was sick and had to give an IOU for a yummalicious Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie.  Well, rhubarb has a very short season, so the CNC will be enjoying a Peach-Blackberry Pie instead.

The crust from Smitten Kitchen came out exquisitely.  And, it looked perfect as I put it in the oven.  I even buoyed it's buttery delicate self up with tin foil, but sadly it lost it's cute details, and of course, the best laid "CNC" instead of the normal pie venting marks, went all wonky on me.  But here's how it done been got this way:

Crust Recipe
Seriously the best most awesome crust which I discovered when making her Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is from the aforementioned Smitten Kitchen: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/11/pie-crust-102-all-butter-really-flaky-pie-dough/

Filling
1 basket of Blackberries
10 large Peaches
1 1/2 to 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice (to taste: depending on how sweet the fruit)
Pinch of Salt

5 Tablespoons Flour
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
Grated Fresh Nutmeg (several scrapings)

Glaze/Crust Protection
1 Egg White
2 teaspoons Water

NOTE RE: Pie Plate
I highly recommend you use one with a big lip on it.  See my post on 10/12 for pic of the improved pie made a couple days later with my favorite green pie plate with a thick lip. With this buttery a crust, you need it to have somewhere for it to ooze out.  Otherwise you will need to use aluminum foil around the pie plate to keep it from completely falling.  Not Lazy.  So, get a good pie plate with a lip.  I had left mine at a friend's so didn't have it on this nite.  Next pie much improved because of this lovely simple adjustment.


Preheat oven to 350.

Make an X at the bottom of the peach.  Throw in boiling water for about a minute.  Pull out of water and peels will come off really easily.  When cool, slice the peaches.  Toss with the blackerries, lemon juice and pinch of salt.  

Whisk together the flour, brown sugar and grated nutmeg.   Toss with the peach mixture above.  Let it rest while you roll out the dough, but at least 30 minutes.

Roll out bottom crust, put in pie plate with 1 inch overhang all around.  Put in the fridge.  Roll out the top crust, put on a flat plate and put in fridge.

Mix egg white and water together.  Get out your pastry brush.

If the peach mixture has set long enough, get out the bottom crust, and brush with egg mixture.  Put in the filling, scooping from bowl into the crust with a slotted spoon if it is super-soupy.  Leave the soupiest of the soup in the bowl, but you will have taken 98% of what is in the bowl over to the pie. 



Put on the top crust, crimp the edges as you wish, and cut decorative steam slits into crust to allow for proper bubbling to ensue.  Don't get all fancy like I did here (sorry it will not let me rotate this pic no matter what I do! LOL!) because with these buttery crusts, they need to be able to express themselves however they wish.  Simple slits work best.



Bake for 60-70 minutes normally.  This one took 80 tonight to get to double-double-toil-and-trouble delicious bubbling goodness.





I lost the beautiful edging took, but I guarantee no one will care!  Did I mention how unbelievably good it smells?  Oh my!

Lazily yours,

Happy Baking to All and to All a Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment