Saturday, November 12, 2011

Winter Yum Soup



I am in the middle of a 3 1/2 day meditation retreat that I am participating in remotely, via phone and web.  It's fantastic, especially because I can do things like I just did!  We had a 15 minute bathroom break, an hour prior to the two hour lunch break.  Already hungry and craving a warm vegetable soup, I threw this soup together in just about 8 minutes.  All of this can be found at Trader Joe's, but all stores have all of these ingredients, except possibly the broccoli slaw, which could actually be replaced with normal ol' cabbage slaw.

Ingredients
2 - 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 - 15 cans pinto beans (or whatever your favorite bean is -- this happens to be mine)
1 - 32 oz vegetable stock (or other stock if you prefer -- I'm a vegetarian)
1 - 28 oz can of water (i.e., when you empty it, fill it with water and throw that in!)
1 - 10 oz bag of sliced mushrooms (I chopped them up further)
1 - 13 oz bag of broccoli slaw
1/2 cup red lentils (I just threw them in for texture and color)
2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
2 Teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
2 Dashes Lemon Pepper
Salt to taste

After 1/2 hour it was actually ready to go, but I turned the heat very low and let it simmer for a full hour.  It just gets better and better over time.  And, super miraculously the broccoli stays crunchy!

Obviously you can add all kinds of yummy extras that meet your taste wishes and needs.

Buon Cozy Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment