Thursday, August 02, 2012

Flax to the Max -- A Yummy Lazy Health Tip

I've been indulging in the wonders of flax seed probably for over 20 years.  When I first learned of its benefits I was told to take the seeds and grind them in my coffee grinder.  Eating whole flax seeds is not as good for you.  Grinding them allows for all thier nutty goodness, oils and enzymes to run free in your system.  

I dutifully ground my own flax seeds for years until, well.... until I became a Lazy Woman!  Lazy Women make smart choices about where their energy is going to be spent.  I simply chose not to make that effort.  

I switched to Flax Seed Oil and lost steam on that one because I didn't find it as versatile as the ground flax.   Several months ago I accidentally ran into the Ground Flax Seed at Whole Foods. Good times.  I had always thought that already ground seeds must not be as potent as freshly ground.  In fact that may be true, but if it's a choice of not eating flax seeds or eating, I think this is a good Lazy choice for me.   Since I have a smoothie each morning, it's super easy to throw a couple tablespoons in my smoothie each morning, and it just adds a slightly nutty flavor. It is such a potent supplement that is really easy to use.


If you have high cholesterol, diabetes, inflammation, heart disease, menopausal symptoms, digestive issues, or oh my God so many other things (google it!) -- Flax Seed will help your system!

If you don't have a smoothie every day, there are lots of creative things you can do with flax seed, including sprinkling them on salads, fruit, grains, etc.  I actually love the flavor of ground flax seed on brown rice.  Yummy!  I learned that trick from a Japanese Restaurant in NY in the 80's!  

But, here is a new one. The other day when I was at Whole Foods, they had samples out of banana slices sprinkled with Ground Flax Seed.  So yummy, and a great afternoon snack that tastes nutty and delicious.  I've had it a few days since trying it.  I actually like it best when the bananas are cold.  Room temp is great too, and maybe it's because it's Summer, but a cold sliced banana with Ground Flax Seed sprinkled on top has an extra little kick.






Buon Lazy Healthy Appetito to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment