Saturday, June 15, 2013

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie - Father's Day Delight


 
My dad lived in Alaska from the time that I was about 11 years old.  I visited every Summer until I went off to college.  He loved to garden and one of the magical events that happens in Alaska is a very short yet extremely robust growing season.  He always had rhubarb bushes and those stalks grew so big it was like they were out of a supernatural fairy tale. 





My dad loooooooooooooooooooooooved Strawberry Rhubarb Pie so the fact that my friend Bob loves it as his birthday "cake" right around Father's Day always makes me super happy.

I've posted this before, but I'm just reminding everyone that the most amazing recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is Smitten Kitchen's. She's a GENIUS.  Check it out: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/06/strawberry-rhubarb-pie-improved/.

Sadly, as hard as I tried to not manipulate this crust too much, the crimped edges came out tough.  But, the filling was, I think, quite perfect.  So, my only warning with the recipe is manipulate that dough as little as possible....no matter what, though, flavor is mighty deliciosa!

And, stress-free, easy, Lazy to make -- other than attention to crust needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment