Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Lazy Doggie Owner Alert: Tis Bee Season!

My precious little Lucy stepped on a bee today -- or at least that is our best guess.  I was working outside and the girls were laying on the lawn near me, getting up from time to time to sniff a bit here and there.

I noticed her sit down quickly and start gnawing on her paw.  I assumed it was a bee and looked immediately for a stinger.  I didn't find one.  I looked for the Pet Emergency Care card.  Apparently, I moved the card from its normal several-year-long spot to some place more clever -- wherever that might be!  I know it has bee stings on it!  So, I called the vet and they told me to bring her in immediately.  

They gave her a shot of benadryl and put some Lanacane on the paw.  But, now I know what to have on hand! The vet recommends StingEze and 25 mg of Benedryl (Lucy is 14 lbs.)  

Sting Eze 3310 Insect Bite Dauber


At one point Lucy started shaking a lot, so I was concerned, but apparently that was just a pain response.   The vet told me that the main concern is their heart rate.  But, if they had asked me about her heart rate, I would have said it was racing!  So, go figure, but the Benadryl probably would have calmed her pretty quickly.

My first instinct was to put cold water on it.  That apparently was a good instinct.  Ice is good for short periods too.  I was just assuming she wouldn't let me do that, but you gotta do what you gotta do to make them feel better!


No comments:

Post a Comment