Friday, August 12, 2011

Figs: God's Gift to Planet Earth + Me


I am always shocked to hear that people don't like figs.  My friend, Christina, was in town last weekend with her sweet 11 year old daughter, Gina.  I had expected Gina would be a kindred foodie given her vegetarianism.  Yes, she has been a vegetarian since she was 9 years old!  Pretty cool if you ask me.

Anyway, I was showing them the bounty of foods I had bought in their honor and was about to pull out a big bowl of figs when I exclaimed, fully expecting a resounding cry of agreement, "Gina, do you like figs?!!!!!"  She was trying to hide her disappointment in having to disappoint me.  It was a 1/2 second round robin of guilt, as I put the figs on the counter. 

Then she saw them and said "Those are figs?"  These were fresh green figs.  She had only had the deep purple mission figs.  I suggested she might want to try the teensiest bit of the green fig.  I had just made her a piece of toast with goat cheese on it.  I asked if I could put the tiniest smidgen of green fig on her goat cheese lathered toast and she said, courageously and with a twinkle in her eye "YES!" 

Well, folks, she LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it!  Who knew that the two figs would taste so differently to her young, acutely-tuned palate.  The next day we actually all three did a taste test.  Gina still hated the missions.  Christina and I took our time mulling over the delicate differences between the two.  Missions are definitely more woodsy to me.  I love them both, but I think if I had to be caught on a desert island with only one I would choose the green figs.  

After they left I was missing them a little so I made a little snack for myself with both kinds of figs.  I swear I can't not be happy when I'm eating figs. 

The memory of Gina really made me smile too.  I love kids who are open to tasting anything.   It's so brave, and their taste buds really are so very sensitive. I especially love kids who are open to having their minds.  What a delightful young lady we have on this planet.  And, now the sweet green figs of this planet are lucky to have her love.


5 comments:

  1. The Common Fig is widely known for its edible fruit throughout its natural range in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern region.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dried figs are excellent source of minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants. In fact dried fruits are concentrated sources of energy. 100 g dried figs provide 249 calories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Figs are great culinary ingredients and also taste great when munched raw. With a smooth skin, crunchy seeds and luscious, chewy flesh, the fig fruit has great texture and taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A woman's shoulders are the front lines of her mystique, and her neck, if she's alive, has all the mystery of a border town. A no-man's land in that battle between the mind and the body.
    Who, in their right mind Kevin, could possibly deny the twentieth century was entirely mine?
    Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, His own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This internet sites are really useful. Now, It has become very challenging to find out. I would like to know some more details about dofollow hyperlinks. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete