Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Trader Joe's Tuesday - More Thanksgiving

Do you have the regular guys and gals you are friendly with at Trader Joe's. I do, and I get attached to them, so when I've moved in the past I've been sad to lose them for their cheery faces, their recommendations and their familiar nods and hello's.

I sad down to write about working with turkey leftovers but I can't get my "Trader Joe's Husband," (I, of course, am his Lazy Wife) 21 year old Brian, out of my mind. I haven't seen him in quite a while. He had been set to ship out to the Navy in early October, but when I went in and saw him mid-October I was shocked to find out the reason. His mom who had just been married at my exact age only weeks prior was on her honeymoon when her most beloved new husband was killed. Brian had delayed his entry into the Navy so that he could support her in her very obvious time of need.

I just got back from getting a Christmas tree with Aaron, feeling so lucky that for the first time in several years I had a guy to help me bring the tree in. I always do it alone, plopping it in my convertible (some years to my body's utter horror because it was so darned cold) and schlepping it out, knocking down anything in its wake. I am just so grateful right now because Aaron loved Christmas as much as I do and this is the beginning of a lovely season. It was in the happiest times like these that Brian's mom lost her new love. Anything can happen. Any moment.

So, I'm going to rush back to my love but first a few tips for what to do with leftover turkey:

  1. Scrumptious Turkey Cranberry Salad -- Lettuce of your choice, turkey chopped up in even sized bits, dried cranberries, grated parmesan cheese (the bag in the refrigerator section), lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Turkey Pasta Alfredo -- Check out the frozen pasta section at TJ's....several would do but there is a great Mushroom Alfredo which is PERFECT for adding turkey. Cook it a little more than halfway and then add in the turkey so it's all evenly warmed.
  3. Turkey Spinach Sandwich -- Trader Joe's has fantastically delicious breads... perfect little panini, mini-baguettes, etc. Instead of mayonaise, grab the Spinach Dip in the refrigerator section and slather it on the bread. Slice a tomato layer that on. If you like capers, throw a few in (yes TJ's has capers over near the mustard and olives) by dotting the spinach dip with them. If you NEED cheese throw on a slice or two, but with the richness of the dip, I don't think you'll need it.

In gratitude,

b.

No comments:

Post a Comment