Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Trader Joe's Tuesday -- Replacement Addictions

A person-who-shall-remain-nameless (i.e., a friend who I don't think ever really was a friend because of what said ex-friend did...and frankly, I think you'll agree...just listen to this horrible tale of drug pushing) introduced me to a very, very bad addiction, which I cannot imagine is too far from a crack addiction. What is the addiction and what the heck does it have to do with Trader Joe's?

The addiction is what I call Spicy Hot Cheetos. Technically they are called "Crunchy Flamin' Hot Cheetos" and they are profoundly delicious and equally deeply addictive. I hear that they really are "laced" with something that makes them more addictive. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water. And, the very sad thing is that it's a really embarassing addiction -- especially for a vegetarian who puts such a high premium on healthy eating. It's just not hip. And, worst of all, everyone knows when you've had them because they stain your fingertips bright neon flamin' hot RED!

A few weeks ago I made a promise to not eat these blessed spicy morsels for the rest of the year. Yet again Trader Joe's saves the day, though! In the snack/chip section you will find "Baked Cheese Crunchies" -- such a cute, harmless name, eh? And, they are pretty low-cal and low-fat. And, there is a Jalapeno version too, though it's not quite as satisfying to me as my crack cheetos in the level of spiciness. But, the regular Baked Cheese Crunchies are quite crunchy, delicious and not laced with anything. So when you're finished, you don't desperately crave another bag and you aren't left with a half-crazed-full-moon-wolf smile on your face or stained fingertips!

And, may I tell you that if you are looking for a very cool crunchy cheesy addition to a salad to add some interesting texture, crumble several of these on top of your salad!

Trader Joe's has a knack for creating healthy alternatives to many of our favorite addictions! Yet another reason to be thankful this holiday season.



No comments:

Post a Comment