Thursday, March 05, 2009

Taking it Slow is Lazy

I live more in black and white than gray. And while I think of lazy as a wildly colorful concept, laziness bringing me joy and happiness as a rule, lazy sometimes rests in the gray zone. A good gray, but gray nonetheless. I met a man I'm interested for the first time in way too long. I'm not good at taking it slow with men. But I'm finally learning how to take it slow, to savor the flavor of getting to know someone.

In this case taking it slow requires more effort on my part, which might imply a lack of laziness. But, I still get to be lazy. I get to discover some muscles that are untoned, and choose to exercise them. I took a new class at the gym a few weeks ago, and I learned a new squat exercise that shocked the heck out of me.

"I thought I HAD BEEN exercising those muscles!" I found myself screaming in my head when clearly unchartered territory was being met. But I definitely had no interest in giving up the new exercise. In fact, the pain made me want more because I was immediately connected to the results I might get. I actually savor the new sensations of pain in places I didn't know existed. And, the next day when trying to peel myself from my bed, I actually delight in the new aches and pains because it means I'm getting somewhere.

Taking it slow with men is exercising a muscle that is so deep down I even have trouble tapping into it. I don't even know how to be in my skin with it yet. But, I'm inspired to do things differently, so I'm savoring the little aches and pains. I expect the resultant sculpting this workout will effect is well worth a little lazy effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment