Thursday, March 10, 2011

Best Lunch on Planet -- Lazy Weight Watchers Version of a Rubio's Favorite


A couple months before I decided to finally stop my grieving-for-my-dad-eating-everything-I-feel-like-eating regimen, I discovered a new favorite at Rubio's.  I, like my dear friend Beanie, am a fiend for fish tacos and everywhere I go -- even the Kansas City Sheraton that I used to go to a few times a year -- I try fish tacos.

In Los Angeles, the best fast food fish taco -- for my tastebuds -- is found at Rubio's.  So, it took a lot for me to one day order something different.  I am mostly vegetarian but about once every couple weeks I have fish.  So, anything vegetarian will definitely catch my eye, so when I saw the sign for a Grilled Portobello and Poblano Soft Taco I simply had to try it.  It did not disappoint.  It was all kinds of gooey, crunchy, warm, yummy deliciousness, with just the right amount of kicky spice.

Today, I had a craving for it, and happened to have all the right ingredients -- except the poblano.  Next time I'm out I'm buying poblanos, but even without the poblanos, my healthy version of the Rubio's treat is DIVINE!

So, for the Healthy Portobello (and Poblano!) Quesadilla..here's what you do:

1.  Heat up your George Forman grill. 
2.  Throw on a portobello mushroom -- mine was really huge so I ripped it into a few pieces.  This is where you would also grill up the poblano.
3.  While it's cooking, chop up fresh herbs.  I used flat parsley and chives, but if you have cilantro so much the better!
4.  I made two quesadillas because I was hungry.  So, while still cooking the portobello/poblano, get out four small corn tortillas and one slice of cheese.  My favorite is Trader Joe's Jalapeno Yogurt Cheese.  Put 1/2 of a slice on each quesadilla.
5.  When the mushroom/poblano is done, take it off and chop up with the herbs. 
6.  Put quesadillas on for a minute or so to get them going.  Then add the mushroom/poblano/herb mixture.
7.  Cook until YOU say they are done.  I like mine crispy on the outside,  but you may prefer them soft.



8.  I whipped up a salad to have it with -- lettuce, tomato, 1/4 cup Lite Mexican cheeses (Trader Joe's), a couple tablespooons of salsa, juice from 1/2 lemon and 1 teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss it all together and serve with piping hot quesadillas. 
9.  If you like spicy, throw some salsa or hot sauce on the quesadilla at the end.

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment