Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Trader Joe's Tuesday (a wee bit late) - Roasted Veggie Dinners

I'm in the throes of the finality of a break-up right now so I'm running a little slow, a little ragged, a little behind.  I'm trying to deal with my grief in a lazy way, i.e., feeling it, not pushing it down like I normally do, or busying myself beyond belief so that I don't have time to feel.  So, it's just plain depressing time now.

But, since listening to Marianne Williamson's "A Course in Weight Loss" and also doing Debbie Ford's "Shadow Process Workshop" I am not eating my feelings or busying myself to get away from them.  In fact, instead of eating lots of chocolate through the grief, I find myself forgetting to eat and then being very weak.  And, I'm not particularly in the mood to cook, so I'm thankful more than ever to my Mecca, Trader Joe's.

In the veggie section there are wonderful bags of cut up vegetables that are super easy to steam in the microwave, but my favorite thing to do with them --  sweet potatoes, butternut squash, green beans, mushrooms, etc. -- is ROAST them.

So here's what you do:

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Depending on the veggie you'll roast at this temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
  2. Throw the contents of the bag onto a cookie sheet.
  3. Take 1 teaspoon of olive oil (yes, that truly is all you need!), drizzle it over the veggies and toss so coated.
  4. Sprinkle with all your favorite herbs, salt, pepper, spices, etc.  Two of my favorites are Garlic Salt and Pico De Gallo:



For those of you doing Weight Watchers -- a big bowl of green beans is only ONE POINT -- the olive oil!   Sometimes I sprinkle fat free feta on top for a total of TWO POINTS!

Buon appetito!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment