Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's Wednesday so it's Time for Trader Joe's Tuesday Lazy Woman Tips!

Yes, it's Wednesday but I just came up with a fabulous idea! I was in Pilates class and Giuliana mentioned that she was going to run off to Trader Joe's to buy the two ingredients for the Lazy Woman Anti-Aging Skin Treatment! Everyone asked what the hell the ingredients could be and I told them all in one little aisle at Trader Joe's....and it got me thinking, I am constantly giving people Lazy Woman Trader Joe's tips in real life that I should share here!

So, here is the very first Trader Joe's Tuesday Lazy Woman Tip! From now on you'll find these tips in their proper place, but in typical Lazy Woman fashion, with less stress and more joy... 'tis Wednesday my friends but here you go anyway ... shopping list arranged by Trader Joe's sections and instructions to make it happen FAST!

Lazy Fiesta Mexicana Salad in Minutes

From the Veggie Section at TJ's
Lettuce (any kind you want, but ironically I get the "Very American Salad" mix for this)
Avocado
Tomato
Cilantro and/or Chives (fresh in the veggie section) or Purple Onion
Lemon

From Near the Veggies at TJ's
Cheese (I use sharp cheddar because it has a lot of bang for the bite, so I use very little)
Salsa (or Hot Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce below)

From the Frozen Foods Section at TJ's
Jasmine Rice (in the frozen food section - it comes three bags to a box)

From the Canned Foods Section at TJ's
Pinto Beans or Black Beans
Sliced Black Olives
Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce
Olive Oil (if you don't already have)


I don't tell you how much of each thing to put in because you can be creative and adjust easily to the number of people you are feeding. But, this is how it's done in less than 5 minutes:

  1. Enter your kitchen.
  2. Open the freezer and get out a bag of the Jasmine Rice. Poke it with a knife a couple times. Throw it in the microwave. My microwave I set at 2:22. Might take up to three minutes on your microwave. You don't want it to be super hot, just cooked.
  3. Get out the can of beans. Drain and pour into a bowl, ready to put into the microwave when the rice is done.
  4. Open the can of olives and drain.
  5. Chop up the fresh herbs, the tomato and avocado as you see fit. Throw into a big salad bowl.
  6. Add the lettuce and the drained olives.
  7. Grate some cheese into the bowl -- if you choose to put it in. (You can omit this and the avocado and olives, if you want it to be more low-cal.)
  8. The rice is done now so put the beans in the microwave for about a minute to warm them up.
  9. Add the rice to your salad bowl.
  10. Add lemon juice, olive oil, salsa and/or Jalapeno Pepper sauce, and salt to taste. (I go lighter on the olive oil if I have avocado, cheese and/or olives in there, and a little heavier on it when I don't add those. But, really the "dressing" is mostly lemon and salsa so it is light and you enjoy more of all the fresh flavors.)
  11. Beans are done! Throw them in. Toss it up.
  12. Enjoy!
NOTE: If you don't care about calories, you can, of course, crumble up some of your favorite Tortilla Chips over from the Chips/Beer TJ aisle, but I'd rather have a little cheese, olives and/or avocado as the added calories. It's up to you!

Buenas Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment