Saturday, April 18, 2009

Lazy Summer Salad

It was hot today in Sierra Madre! It felt like Summer. And, since I'm taking off for a few days tomorrow morning, I thought I'd do my best to use up every single veggie in the fridge. I was delighted to find the following ingredients:

1 large yellow pepper
1/4 huge Persian cucumber
1 Roma tomato
1/2 avocado
1 lemon
and
2 cobs of corn

Give me a break! That's a miraculous list of ingredients on the first summery day! So, while I steamed the corn, I chopped up the entirety of the yellow pepper, cucumber, tomato and avocado -- in small, equal-sized pieces, so it was almost salsa like, but without the liquid. I added the juice of 1/2 the lemon, some olive oil, a couple splashes of red wine vinegar, some salt and my favorite ingredient these days "Pico de Gallo" seasoning (brand name actually is Pico de Gallo's) which is basically Cayenne Pepper plus. I love this seasoning and put it on my steamed corn too! But, my gosh that salad was so fresh, summery, light and filling.

It was a nice way to welcome the coming heat....just in time for me to jet away into slightly cooler climes of Dallas!

No comments:

Post a Comment