Monday, April 13, 2009

Lazy Delicious Breakfast -- Inspired by London!

My favorite part of traveling is the long-lasting effects it has on my life. I bring things home that remind me of my travels. I try to buy something to wear, something to hang on the wall, and something that I will use on a regular basis. So, I bought two beautiful mirrors in Morocco that look so Moroccan to me, and remind me of the magical times at the Medina. I got a very cool keychain that wards off evil (the evil eye) and is beautiful that I use every day, and I got the coolest suede coat that still smells of the Medina to me. And, my friends in Morocco bought me the most wonderful purple suede boots, I simply couldn't be any cooler now!

The other thing I love to bring back from my travels is RECIPES. Right off the plane I ran to the store to get lentils and carrots to recreate two of my most favorite Moroccan treats. Oh my god, how delicious and also very nutritious! Yummy Morocco. I can't wait to get some fresh sardines to cook up, because I was in taste bud heaven when I devoured a few of these delicious fish. I had never seen big huge sardines, let alone tasted them!

The other culinary inspiration I brought home was shockingly from London. London now rivals New York as far as I'm concerned in the area of cuisine. I literally never put a morsel into my mouth my entire trip that didn't thrill me. And, I was most often eating "on the go." London has so many fresh, delicious, healthy "to go" foods it's incredible, including Japanese restaurants on nearly every block. Every morning I started my day at Pret a Manger (French for "ready to eat"). There are Pret a Mangers all over London. I was happy to hear they are bringing them to the States. I can't wait til they make it to LA! They have the most delicious oatmeal. It is a combination of oatmeal and Muesli.

Well, I've made my own version which actually might be better than the Pret a Manger version, and both ingredients are found at Trader Joe's!

Quick Steel Cut Oats
and
Low Fat Berry Granola

Directions: Add 1/4 cup of the Quick Steel Cut Oats to just under a cup of water (the recipe for the oats calls for 3/4 cup but you are adding a bit more to absorb the granola) in a small pot. Bring to a boil. This whole process takes just about 5 minutes. Add about 1/4 cup of the granola, stir and let it cook another minute. ENJOY!

Note: If it's not sweet enough for you, my favorite sweetener for these oats is Agave. It doesn't overpower the oats like honey or maple syrup do. But, if honey, maple syrup or brown sugar float your boat, go for it.

This is a nutritious, delicious breakfast that really sticks with you! Try it and tell me what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Well, Pret have made it to the US...just that they're on the other coast. All over Manhattan according to the link http://www.pret.com/us/find_a_pret/.

    Fingers crossed for you that the British healthy fast food invasion makes it's way over to LA.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete